0

Exclusive Interview with G-Soul

Monday, February 25, 2008

Exclusive Interview with G-Soul

Tell us about your typical day. Do you have a routine you stick to?

These days I’m busy pretty much all day preparing for the concert and getting my album started. But usually my typical day involves school, vocal and music training, and working out at the gym.

Was it hard to get adjusted to living in the states? What’s the biggest difference you notice between Korea and US and what do you like about each place?

Korea is my home and I miss it a lot, but I don’t think it was that hard for me to adjust to the states. I think I adjusted real good to the states because I’ve loved American culture and R&B/Soul music all my life.

I think the biggest difference for me is that there’s more musical freedom in the states compared to Korea. I can do the style of music I love and that I’m good at, instead of just doing ballads or the pop styles popular in Korea.

What is your biggest weakness? Strengths?

I think my biggest strength is my faith in myself and in my music. I’ve always had faith that I can train and work hard on my music and make the best music I can possibly make. My biggest weakness is that I can be impatient and lazy sometimes.

Tell us more about your album. What’s the concept?




So far, I’ve only done about a couple songs, so I kind of want to keep it on the DL.

It’s really hard for Asian artists to make it in the US, what are you expectations and how do you think you can overcome the challenges?

I think it was hard for Asian artists to make it in the US because they were produced by American producers who really didn’t understand the Asian artist and where they were coming from. But this time, I think I’ll have music that fits me very well.

I think that America has opened up to the world and that Americans are much more open to Asian and other cultures than before, so I feel very fortunate.

Are you friends with any of the other JYP artists?

I’ve gotten really close with Min and Jeong Hee since living and training together in New York. We’ve been through so much together and it’s really brought us close. I’ve also learned a lot from Jeong Hee because she’s an experienced artist and is such a talented singer and musician. And I’m really good friends with the Wonder Girls and the trainees in the US and Korea.

Are you excited about the concert? How many songs are you going to perform? How was it working with the Boys Choir of Harlem?

I’m really excited about performing at MSG. It’ll be the biggest stage I’ve ever been on in the states. For now 2 songs, but I could have more. It was a great honor to work with the choir. It was a great experience and I learned a lot from them, and not just musically.

You said you sang Gospel when you were younger. How did you decide to switch to Soul?

I never really switched to Soul. Even though I sing more Soul and R&B, I still love singing Gospel and try to as much as I can.

How do you feel about working with R.Kelly?

I’m very excited and feel very honored to have the opportunity to work with R. Kelly. I never imagined in my life that I’d be able to work with the biggest R&B singer of all time, and of course he is one of my favorite artists. and I’m gonna use this chance to make the best music I can.

Questions from POPSEOUL! Readers

Did you felt discriminated at all? What was it like to be a singer from Korea trying to break into the US music industry?

I think people in the states stereotype me and don’t expect an Asian guy like me to sing R&B and Soul very well, but this just gives me more drive to train harder. I’ve always practiced American R&B and Soul music, so I consider trying to break into the US music industry a chance to do the music I’ve always done and loved.

Will you ever or think about making a Korean album in the future?
I will definitely do some Korean albums after my debut in the States.

Is there anything you two will develop into your music that will distinguish you as an Asian singer? Or will you continue to sing the style you currently sing w/o much Asian influence?? (nickie)

I consider myself as an R&B singer, not as an Asian R&B singer. So I’m going to try to do be myself and do the music I’ve loved and grown up with. And since I’m a unique person, as long as I just try to be myself, I believe there’ll be something unique in my music and I’ll be able to express my own unique style.

Since you are debuting in the U.S., who are the celebrities that you are eager to meet and/or even collaborate with ?

I would love to work with classic US artists like Stevie Wonder, as well as newer artists like Keyshia Cole and J. Holliday, but for now I’m just happy to have the chance to work with R. Kelly.

What is your fav song that you have sung?

The favorite song that I’ve sung is a soul classic called “A Song For You” by Donny Hathaway.

source: popseoul

0 Responses to "Exclusive Interview with G-Soul"